Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Bite Sized Pizza

I came across this recipe on www.plainchicken.com and immediately wanted to try it.  We are a pizza family, but my oldest son doesn't love pizza sauce.  This recipe would allow me to make pizza without having to scrape the sauce off of Parker's piece, because the sauce is served on the side.

It was very simple to make.  Most of it (chopping the vegetables and pepperoni or browning the sausage) can be done before if need be.  The recipe does not call for onion and green pepper, but I added that in Brandon's pieces.  You could add anything you wanted such as mushroom, olives, canadian bacon...just whatever you like on your pizza.



I popped them out of the mini-muffin pan and set them on the table for my family to enjoy.  Brandon let out a "mmm, these are good".  Nolan started eating right away.  I took a bite, dipped in ranch of course, and liked it a lot.  Then what do you know, the child I had in mind when making these REFUSED to even try them.  I'm not kidding when I say he didn't believe that they were pizza.  He swore up and down that they were, "mini meatloafs, and I hate meatloaf".  (Kind of reminded me of Randy, the little brother from A Christmas Story.  You know the "meat-losse, meat-loaf, double beat-loaf...I HATE meatloaf.") 

With that being said, 3 out of the 4 of us loved them. I am almost certain you could freeze these after making them for a quick heat up snack or for something on the go.  I even noticed Brandon eating them straight from the fridge the next day. 

Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza Puffs
3/4 C flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 C whole milk    (I used 2% because that's what we had)
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 oz mozzerella cheese, shredded  (about 1/2 cup)
2 oz mini turkey pepperoni  ( I used regular pepperoni and diced it in small pieces)
4 oz low fat sausage, cooked and crumbled
1/2 C pizza sauce

Pre-heat oven to 375.  Grease a 24-cup mini-muffin pan.  In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, garlic powder and baking powder; whisk in the milk and egg.  Stir in the mozzerella, sausage, and pepperoni; let stand for 10 minutes.
Stir the batter and divide among the mini-muffin cups.  Bake until puffed and golden, about 20-25 minutes.

You can heat up the pizza sauce for dipping.  (Or use ranch like I did!!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-58667833-1